Self-Lubricating Polymer Composites and Polymer Transfer Film Lubrication for Space Applications
Robert L. Fusaro
NASA Lewis Research Center
Self-lubricating polymers and polymer composites are state-of-the-art materials for space applications--where unique problems exist that are not encountered in terrestrial applications.
This 48-page book surveys the various polymers and fillers used to make self-lubricating composites. It also delves into the mechanisms of composite lubrication and wear, the theory behind transfer film lubricating mechanisms, and the factors which affect polymer composite wear and transfer.
The text investigates:
This NASA reference book also has an extensive (7 page) list of high-tech references for further studies.
- Advantages and disadvantages of polymers in space
- Polymer molecular structure
- Formation of extended-chain crystals
- Self-lubricating polymer composites
- PTFE vs polyimides
- Ultra-high-molecular-weight-polyethylene (UHMWPE)
- Transfer film lubricating mechanisms
- Factors affecting polymer composite wear and transfer
- Load/stress, contact area, sliding speed, absorbed gases/vapors, counterface topography
- Temperature and molecular relaxations
- Radiation and atomic oxygen
- Polymer composite space tribology applications for:
- Slow speed oscillatory bearings
- Rotary motion ball bearings
- Cryogenic ball bearings
There are more than 40 detailed engineering drawings, graphs, tables, charts, and photos that further explain the content.
Some of several pages of technical illustrations
[reduced from actual size]
Hard to find and now out-of-print, this new limited edition has been republished by the Rocket Science Institute. It's printed with a high-resolution laser printer (not photocopied) on high-quality, bright-white, 24-lb acid-free paper for years of reference use. 48 pages, large and easy-to-read 11" x 8-1/2" size. $16.95
USA (Insured Priority Mail: $3.85)
International (Priority Airmail: $9.85)
We ship worldwide -- you pay only actual postal costs: combine several books into one shipment to save!
Ordering by mail ? Other questions ?
100% positive comments from more than 1,600 happy customers worldwide!
Many other unusual books in our eBay Store !